Friday, October 15, 2010

Arg! Home Repairs


This has definitely been our month of home repairs. First we discovered that the frig was leaking when the ceiling in the family room was dripping on Krystle. We had to replace the water hose to the ice and water.

Next, I thought it would be an easy fix to repair the toilet downstairs. I was just going to replace the shims that I put under it a few years ago to help make it level since the cement floor isn't level. Not a simple fix. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong! The inside of the toilet had to be replaced, the seat was broken, the bracket was rusted and broken, the tank leaked, the bolts were rusted so we couldn't get them out....After several trips to the plumbing supply store and many nights working on it, I ended up breaking the whole toilet and had to buy a new one which I installed carefully with shims to make it level!

Next, the kitchen sink was clogged. We used the "snake" several times down about 20 feet and Liquid Plumber to no avail. In the meantime, the bracket that hooked to the drain was corroded and had to be replaced. I finally called the plumber who said, "If the snake didn't work for you, we can't fix it either." I had to call Roto Rooter, who came in with their BIG snake. They had to go down 45 feet and cleared the clog and charged $125 to do it! It works now and I am grateful for indoor plumbing that works!

No comments: